Sweet Potato Chia Seed Pudding
Have you jumped on the chia seed bandwagon yet? They are everywhere and for good reason!
Some of the benefits of chia seeds:
- High in antioxidants
- High in fiber
- Contains high quality protein
- High in Omega – 3 fatty acids
- Improves metabolic health by improving cholesterol levels, lowering blood pressure and and reducing inflammation
- High in calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus which is essential for bone health
I recently discovered a Pumpkin Chia Seed Pudding made by Nature’s Emporium and have become slightly obsessed with it. At the same time, I felt incredibly lazy purchasing it because it seems so simple to make! And it is! I was excited that I had all of the ingredients already at home so I decided to experiment with creating my own version of Pumpkin Chia Seed Pudding. I don’t normally have pumpkin at home to puree, but normally have a BPA-free can of pumpkin. On this particular day I realized that I had actually purchased sweet potato puree in error. Still determined to make chia pudding at home, I decided to continue my experiment. Sweet Potatoes have many health benefits including: high in vitamin A, vitamin B5 and B6 and carotenoids, a source of vitamin C, vitamin D, iron, magnesium, and potassium. Sweet potatoes also are naturally quite sweet but have a low glycemic index meaning that the sugars are slow releasing to ensure a balanced source of energy. Because they are sweeter than pumpkin, I realized that I really didn’t need additional sweeteners in my pudding. An extra plus! The end result was a creamy, mildly sweet and spicy pudding, but I didn’t stop there! Like smoothies, you can add additional superfood ingredients to give your chia pudding a boost! On this particular day I added Ashwagandha, an adaptogenic herb, that helps your body cope with both external and internal stresses and protects your immune system.
I created the recipe below and measurements are approximated. Feel free to experiment with pumpkin or sweet potato and add a few superfoods in if you wish. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Chia Pudding
1 Cup of Sweet Potato Puree
1 Cup of Almond Milk (Any non-dairy milk with do. Cashew Milk would be amazing!)
2 tbls of Chia Seeds
1/2 tps of raw ground vanilla bean (Heavenly!)
1 1/2 tps of pumpkin spice
Maple Syrup to taste OPTIONAL
Crushed walnuts or other nut or seed as garnish
- Combine Sweet Potato, almond milk, chia seeds, vanilla, spice and maple syrup (if using) in a bowl and mix well.
- Allow pudding to rest for a minimum 2 hours or over night.
- Top with crushed walnuts and ENJOY!
Love and light,
- New Fee Schedule September 26, 2022 September 11, 2022
- The Eastern Approach to Acupuncture September 20, 2021
- The Western Approach to Acupuncture September 20, 2021
- Vaccine Passports begin September 22nd September 20, 2021
- Treatment Spotlight: Soft Tissue Manipulation July 29, 2020