Energizing Raspberry Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
This Energizing Smoothie Bowl is decadent enough to eat as a dessert, yet healthy enough to enjoy as a luxurious breakfast. It is full of healthy fats, including Omega 3s, and is high in protein and fiber to keep you full for hours. The real star here is the maca root powder. It is a wonderful adaptogen that can help balance hormones and fight fatigue. The Brazil nuts add a beneficial dose of selenium, which is essential for thyroid function and a strong immune system. There is no added sugar (the smoothie is sweetened only with berries), which when combined with the healthy fats, will avoid the dreaded sugar spike and crash. Feel free to adjust the ratio of ingredients to your desired taste. If you’d like it more chocolate-y, add extra cacao powder; If you’re craving just berries, leave the cacao powder out.
1/2 cup hemp hearts (soaked for 15 minutes, water discarded)
3-4 Brazil nuts (ideally soaked for 3 hours, water discarded)
1 cup frozen raspberries
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
2 Tablespoon almond butter
4 teaspoons maca root powder
1 Tablespoon Vital Proteins collagen powder (sold at the studio)
1/4 – 1/2 cup water (start with 1/4 cup and adjust to desired consistency and flavour)
small handful spinach, optional
1) Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth (see note).
2) For a breakfast smoothie bowl, pour into a bowl and top with granola and berries. For a dessert, pour into a bowl and top with raspberries and cacao nibs. The mixture can also be frozen for an ice cream-like treat.
Note: If you prefer a smoother consistency or if your blender doesn’t completely pulverize the raspberry seeds and nuts, you can put the mixture through a sieve before serving.
- Get Relief From Winter Back Pain January 24, 2019
- How To Get More Water AND ABSORB IT: Top Tips from the Team November 13, 2018
- The One Thing That Will Make Your Whole Life Better October 23, 2018
- Energizing Raspberry Chocolate Smoothie Bowl September 24, 2018
- You Asked… We Listened! September 7, 2018